Monday, September 21, 2015

Schnitzel von Crumb

Tonight's tea was crumbed schnitzel with mashed potatoes, roast carrots, and roast broccoli.  My 5 year old daughter came in and asked what was for tea.  After I told her, she replied, "Yum! Schnitzel von Crumb!"  A few minutes later my husband asked the same question, I gave him the same answer, and he replied just like my daughter did!  So, Schnitzel von Crumb it is!

Schnitzel is a very thin cut of beef.  This is a really simple dish that tastes delicious!

To start with you need breadcrumbs.  I simply toasted some of my homemade bread . . .

Broke the bread into small pieces and put it in the blender . . . 

Then blended until I had fine crumbs.
I then mixed in some dried mixed herbs and salt.

Next, break an egg into a bowl and whisk with a little milk (I used coconut cream)
You are going to dip the meat into the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumbs.

It should look like this when you're finished dipping all the pieces.

To cook, heat the oven to 230 degrees C.  Put some coconut oil (or butter) into a glass baking dish and put in the oven to melt.  Once the coconut oil is melted place your crumbed meat in the dish and put in the preheated oven. Bake for 5 minutes.  Flip the meat over and bake for 4 minutes more.  Because the meat is so thin it cooks very quickly.  You don't want it to turn to leather!  Serve with your favourite vegetables.  To make dairy free mashed potatoes I use coconut oil instead of butter and coconut cream instead of milk.  Because we weren't having gravy, I seasoned the potatoes with dried mixed herbs, garlic powder, and salt.  Even my daughter who doesn't like mashed potatoes will eat them like this.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? Did you try this recipe? Did you like it? Did you make any changes?