Monday, September 21, 2015

Apple & Carrot Muffins

Well, actually a cross between a cupcake and a muffin.  There is just something so cute about mini muffins.  My children love them.  Ok, so I love them too.  This recipe is based off of the carrot cake recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook.  I really, really like carrot cake.  Our wedding cake was carrot cake.  I've had carrot cake for many of my birthday cakes.  The great thing about this recipe was that it was made with oil, so it was already dairy free.  I just had to figure out how to make it gluten free and with less sugar.  The sweeter type of apple you use, the sweeter your muffins will be.

(for some reason there are 2 apples in this picture, but I only ever use one)

Ingredients:
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup oil
2 large eggs
1/2 cup white rice flour
1 Tablespoon tapioca starch (arrowroot)
3 Tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 large carrot - grated
1 medium apple - grated

Directions:
1.  Mix honey, oil, and eggs in a large bowl until blended.  Stir for 1 minute.  (Do this by hand-trust me, they turn out better) 
2.  Stir in remaining ingredients except carrot and apple.  Stir by hand again for 1 minute.
3.  Fold in carrot and apple.
4.  Spoon into muffin tins.  (This recipe yields 24 mini muffins)
5.  Bake at 180 degrees C for 12 - 15 minutes. 


Yummmmmmm . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? Did you try this recipe? Did you like it? Did you make any changes?